1. This year I will be a great role model. I will be the role model my kids can really learn from. This will make a better parent, spouse, worker, mentor and friend.
2. This year I will become fully aware of all my negative thoughts. I will be aware and then change them. I will stop my negative thoughts and behaviors and change it for positive thoughts/behaviors. I will make a conscious effort to be more positive , respectful and loving towards myself. I realize emotions/thoughts are contagious, I only want to pass on the good.
3. This is the year of action plans. Not only will I set up short and long-term goals BUT I will set up realistic action plans to reach these goals. I will write down a list of all my goals and action plans. If I can write them down, I have a better chance of following them.
4. Visualize – I will visualize my goals. I will see myself in the place I want to be. I have to see it before I can do it.If I can’t imagine my goals then I can’t reach them. It’s good to daydream!
5. I will set goals, write them down, visualize them and then use positive reinforcement. I will praise and reward myself for every goal I achieve. I deserve it. I will feel a sense of accomplishment because I have taken action/control of my life!
6. This year I will live in the present. I know the past is what we should learn from. The future we should plan for BUT we should never live in either the past or the future. You can’t change your past and your future isn’t here yet. We can only truly live and be in the moment.
7. This year I will not try to change and control others. It’s an impossible situation. The only person I can change or control is me. I can control how I react and what situations I put myself in but I can never change others. This year I will only work on issues I can change. I won’t waste all my energy and time on things I can’t. If I try to change things I can’t, I’m just setting myself up for failure.
As I wrote these tips, I realized I kept saying this year but what I realized from writing this article, is that these shouldn’t be only this year changes, they should be lifestyle changes.