Are you feeling stressed out about the economy? Are your children picking up on your worries? Kids can feel the stress from their parents. If your financial situation has changed and it’s causing you to cut back or make changes that involve your kids then it’s time to think about talking to your kids about tough financial times.
1. It’s ok to talk to your kids about finances in a very simple, clear manner
2. Kids can sense when their parents are feeling stress. Kids become stressed out too.
3. If the family is on a budget or going on a budget explain to your kids about the give and take of money.
Example: If you buy ________, then you can’t have _______
4. Let them be involved in what they choose.
5. Let the children know it’s not their fault.
6. Let the children know that everything will be ok.
Example: Tell your kids that you saved for a rainy day or let them know that one parent is still working so they will be ok.
7. Tell your children what you’re doing to improve the situation.
Example: Dad or mom is going on interviews for a new job.
8. Don’t lie to your children.