Dealing with sadness and grief
After an incident such as the one in Boston yesterday we can have feelings of grief, loss, sadness and heartache. This is completely normal.
There are common symptoms of grief:
- Numbness and shock
- Guilt and/or anger
- There are also physical signs such as join pain, aches, stomachaches, headaches, weakened immune system
- Change in sleeping habits
If you are feeling grief there are a few things you can do
- Make sure to have social support and ask for help if needed.
- Time will help heal so be patient with the healing process
- Talk therapy
- Talking about the loss, sharing your concerns and thoughts is very important. Journal writing can also be a good way to express your thoughts.
- Self-care – make sure to have your basic needs met. Get plenty of rest, eat nourishing foods, plenty of water and exercise.
- Keep a sense of normalcy – stick to a normal routine.