I have learned through my own personal issues that sometimes it takes hitting rock bottom to turn things around. I have had clients who have come to me at their worst and it was only at this time, that they finally were able to make a change. Instead of looking at rock bottom as the worst case scenario think of it as the end of a bad phase with a new start right around the corner. For most people rock bottom gives them the power to make changes, better choices and start fresh.
Seven reasons why there is power in hitting rock bottom
1. Hitting rock bottom teaches you what you don’t want so you can figure out what you do want.
2. Rock bottom caused me to be desperate for a new life. It was the motivation to make changes. It forced me to make changes I would of never done otherwise.
3. Rock bottom makes us vulnerable. This vulnerability allows you to find more happiness in your life by being more open, being courageous and taking risks. Most people don’t allow themselves to be vulnerable but hitting rock bottom brings you to a place of vulnerability.
4. Rock bottom forces you to accept where you are.You have no other control left in your life but to accept your situation. Acceptance is the start of change. Once we accept, we start to let go of all the pain and suffering that comes from holding on to what no longer serves us.
5. Rock bottom taught me to depend on myself. It taught me that I was the most important person in my life. It taught me that without self love there is nothing else.
* Sometimes “YOU” is all you have!
6. Rock bottom forces you to ask all those self-inquiry questions you have been avoiding. Questions such as:
Who am I?
What is my true purpose/meaning?
What are my strengths? Passions?
7. Rock bottom was the first time I ever asked for help. Rock bottom brings you to the place of knowing – I need help and the vulnerability you were afraid to show is broken. Asking for help is not a weakness, it is a sign of strength and courage. We can’t heal all alone. We all need each other.
Remember the #1 factor for happiness is Socialization!
Rock bottom teaches us so many life lessons, are you paying attention? If not, hitting rock bottom will become a pattern for you. It’s a choice – did I take the time to learn from my situation?
Sometimes rock bottom is just what the doctor ordered and the only way back to finding your happiness.