Re-defining success Isn’t it time to take responsibility for your life? This might sound harsh but its true. We are responsible for our lives and that is a great thing! Being responsible means we have control over our lives.
To start redefining your life ask yourself:
1. What does success look like?
2. What is my definition of happiness?
I can’t give you a definition of either that would work for everyone. We all have different definitions for each but before we can reach our goals and live our best life we need to be able to determine what both means to us. It has to be our own definition not society’s or what someone else’s definition is. It must be truly our own. * Reminder – we must find true happiness before we can be successful. If we look for success first, we will be stuck in the “I will be happy when” mode. I will be happy when I get a new job, when I get married, when I move, etc. True happiness is the key to success.
5 ways to redefine success
1. Start off with the above questions. What is Happiness/success to you?
2. What is your mission statement? What is your belief/story about yourself? Our thoughts, beliefs and perspectives shape who we are and our actions. So, just making a shift in your thoughts and beliefs will change your life. * Do you find yourself to be an optimist who knows when one door closes another one opens? Or do you look at negative circumstances as Why me moments? I’m the victim, Nothing works out for me. What ever you think of yourself and your life is what you will get.
3. Find out what makes you different, special and unique – embracing our differences and use them to reach your full potential. Don’t be embarrassed or try to hide your differences. Your differences make you, “You”
4. Listen and learn – be a permanent student. We can always be learning, if we become an active listener. We can learn through conversations, seminars, movies, video’s, etc. We should always be learning and listening. *The bonus we are happiest when we are constantly learning both professionally and personally. It means we are growing and developing. This helps us to avoid that stuck and stagnate feeling.
5. Gratitude – we can’t be happy and successful if we can’t appreciate our lives and what we have. Take a few minutes each day to have a gratitude check where you go through a list of 3-5 things you are truly grateful for each day. Each day try to find new things to be grateful for. Gratitude should become a habit. * Gratitude is a form of meditation so we also get all the benefits of naturally de-stressing with no side effects.
For more information please visit Diane’s website: www.dlcounseling.com