I have been bringing up meditation in many of my newsletters and classes. Meditation is the only way to naturally de-stress without any side effects. I have been getting a lot of questions asking for more information on meditation so here it is.
Meditation is a mindful practice where one looks inward and lets go of their self and connects to their higher power/universe without any judgment.
Benefits of meditation
1. We feel happier and it can boost our immune system so we stay healthier and happier.
2. Lower blood pressure
3. Meditation improves our moods
4. Meditation relieves pain
5. Meditation naturally de-stresses and improves our overall health
6. Meditation helps us to hear our intuition
To meditate we need to set aside some time each day where we won’t be disturbed. We also need no distractions like cell phones.
It doesn’t matter when you meditate. Pick a time that works best for you.
Try to meditate daily. Start off small by meditating 5-10 minutes a day and then work your way up to longer but even if you stay at 5-10 minutes a day you will still reap the benefits.
All you need is a quiet place where you can sit or lay down. For some people if they lay down while meditating they fall asleep. There is no right or wrong in meditation so if you do fall asleep, it’s ok do not judge!
For me sitting outside in nature is the best place to meditate.
How to meditate
1. Start with breathing and by being aware of your breathing. Take a deep breath in through your nose, hold for a few seconds and then exhale through your mouth. Do a few counts of this deep breathing. You will feel your body relax.
2. Find a mantra that you can repeat over and over again in your head. Some use the word love, peace or just say OM. I was trained saying the number 1 over and over again. The mantra helps you clear your mind of all the chatter.
3. Visualize a bright light or white light that you see on the top of your head that slowly works its way down your whole body until you are covered with the light.
4. For some they like the muscle tension relaxation technique instead of the light visualization. For this start with your feet and work your way up. Take each muscle group and tighten then release. Do each muscle group from your feet to your head by tensing and releasing. This will release all the stress from all your muscles.
5. Then just relax with a clear head for as long as you can or want.
Remember, there is no right or wrong with meditation. You can do the deep breathing with the visualization or just the muscle relaxation technique. You can also try a guided meditation through a CD or you tube. Some of my clients like meditating to music or natural sounds like the beach or rain. Do whatever works best for you. Just don’t judge and consistency is key.