Building Your Dream Life Exercise!
By: Diane Lang
Your goal is to envision your future life by remembering what makes you feel good and causes positive emotions. When we feel positive emotions on a daily basis, we can live up to 7 years longer and healthier. You can answer these questions in a journal or on a computer but make sure you can find them so you can see them whenever you want/need to. I ask you these questions so you can be aware of how certain circumstances, activities and ways of thinking make you feel. With this information you can gain insight into yourself. You can review these questions when you feel a down spiral coming along with this question: What could I do right now to cultivate positive feelings?
1. Creating A Joyous Life:
– when have you felt safe, relaxed and happy?
– when have things truly gone your way or even better then expected?
– when have you felt uncontrollable joy, unstoppable smiles or a spring in your step?
2. Gratitude Check
– when have you felt grateful, thankful or deeply appreciative of someone or something?
– what gifts do you treasure the most?
– when do you feel the biggest urge to pay it forward? what inspires you to give back?
3. Feeling A Sense Of Peace and Serenity
– when and where are you truly at peace?
– when has your life felt right and comfortable?
– when do you feel like sitting back and soaking it all in?
4. Interests/Activities That Bring Flow
– when have you felt truly alert, focused and deeply interested in an activity?
– when have you felt fully alive?
– when have you felt an intense pull to learn and explore?
– when have you felt completely safe and captivated to try something new?
5. Feeling Hope
– when have you felt hopeful, optimistic and encouraged by the possibility of a good outcome?
– when faced with uncertainty, fearing the worst but still knew that it would be ok?
– when have you yearned for something better to happen?
– when have you felt most proud of yourself? when have you felt fully confident about your abilities?
– when have you done something praiseworthy?
– what makes you hold your head up high and walk tall?
– what makes you feel fun loving, silly and goofy?
– what makes you want to laugh and smile?
– when was the last time you let lose and had fun without judgment?
– when have you come across true human excellence?
– when have you seen someone act or perform better then you ever imagined was possible?
– when have you felt the urge to do your best?
9. Feeling “AWE”
– when have you felt intense wonder or amazement?
– when have you felt overwhelmed by greatness or beauty?
– when have you felt part of something much larger then yourself?
– when do you feel a sense of warmth and love between you and someone else?
– when do you feel close, safe and secure within a relationships?
– when does a relationship spark you to be the best person you could be?