Using Visualization To Reach Your Goals:
By: Diane Lang
Now that January is over and we have gotten past our failed New Years resolutions and the unhappiest day of the year (Blue Monday, 3rd Monday in January), we can now
focus on the rest of the year and all the possibilities and opportunities it will bring.
Let’s start with asking ourselves a few questions. Take your time to answer the questions but be honest with yourself. These steps including visualization. Visualization is so important to accomplishing your goals and this is why:
“Visualization works because when you imagine yourself performing perfectly and doing exactly what you want, you physiologically create neural patterns in your brain, just as if you had done the action.”
The thought/image can stimulate the nervous system in the same way as the actual event does which is why visualization works great and is used in sports.
When we use visualization regularly, it leads to a higher level of performance. It helps you focus better in order to achieve your goals. It inspires and motivates you to continue following your dreams.
How to visualize
1. Go somewhere quiet and private where you have 5-10 minutes of undisturbed time.
2. Start by closing your eyes and relaxing by taking a few deep breathes. Make sure you are in a comfortable position.
3. Visualize the situation/goal you desire in your mind as clearly as you can with as much detail as you can.
4. Use your senses- what do you see? how do you feel? what do you hear? etc.
5. Practice this daily.
1. Where do you want to be at the end of this year? What do you want your life to look like/ feel like?
Who are you spending your time with?
2. If next year on Feb 11th, 2020, your life hasn’t changed and everything is still the same, what would you feel like?
What would be the consequences if your life stayed exactly the same and you felt as you do today?
3. Write down your goals to accomplish for the end of the year. When we write down our goals, we are 42% more likely to accomplish them.
4. Visualize this life. Visualize if your goals were accomplished at the end of 2019 what your life would look like? feel like?
5. What steps can you take in February to get closer to your goals/vision? Write these steps down. This will be the action you need to start moving towards your vision.
6. Every month re-evaluate your goals and create new actions steps to get closer to accomplishing your goals/vision.
7. Everyday visualize the life you want.
About Diane Lang…
Therapist, Educator and Life Coach
As a Therapist, Educator and Positive Living Expert, Diane has dedicated her career to helping people turn their lives around and is now on a mission to help them develop a sustainable positive attitude that can actually turn one into an optimist, literally.
Through her three books, “Creating Balance & Finding Happiness”, “Baby Steps: the Path from Motherhood to Career” and “ Mindfully Happy- waking up to life.” Diane has been speaking and empowering people nationwide. She is also an Adjunct in Psychology at Montclair State University, where her college work includes mentoring students for personal issue advisement.
As an expert in her fields of therapy, Lang has been featured in the Daily Record, Family Circle, Family Magazine, Working Mother Magazine and Cookie Magazine, seen on NJ 12 TV, Good day CT, Style CT, The Veira Network, CBS TV and “Fox & Friends”. She has also participated in a reality based Internet show, ourprisoner.com, hosted Generation X-tinet.